Do you need assistance with taking steps towards achieving your weight loss/health goals? The Unique Muscle 12 WEEK LEAN UP Healthy Eating Guide is a FREE guide to help you achieve your goals the healthy way and in time for summer! Click here to download!
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp cumin (ground)
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika (ground)
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper or hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp raw cane sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 400 g tins of peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1½ cups of cooked chickpeas
- 200 g of spinach
- a handful of almond flakes, toasted
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- cooked rice, to serve with
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan (ideally with a lid). Add chopped onion and fry on a low heat until almost translucent, stirring from time to time.
- Add chopped garlic. Keep on stirring frequently until the onion is translucent and garlic softens completely and releases its beautiful aroma.
- Add all the ground spices to the fried onion and garlic mixture and stir them around well. Fry them off gently for a minute or two stirring the whole time as they burn easily.
- Add tomato paste to the pan and stir it into the onion and garlic mixture.
- Squash plum tomatoes with a potato masher in a separate bowl before adding them to the pan. Add tomatoes to the pan, salt and half of the sugar. Let the sauce thicken by simmering it on a low heat with no lid on. Give the sauce a good stir from time to time.
- Once the sauce thickens, taste it and season with some black pepper and more sugar if needed. I used 3 tsp of sugar in this recipe as my tomatoes were quite tangy, but you may not need as much.
- Stir in cooked chickpeas and let them warm through. Now add in the spinach and place the lid on to let spinach wilt and cook in the steam. If you are not in a rush, you can gently pan-fry the spinach in a little olive oil and garlic separately and then add it to the dish, but that’s optional.
For more tips and meal ideas, download our FREE 12 WEEK LEAN UP Healthy Eating Guide!
Original Source: http://www.lazycatkitchen.com/spanish-chickpea-spinach-stew/
I love this recipe!! I always come back for it. I add 300g of sweet potato and 500g of chicken breast. I could never get sick of eating this.
I love this recipe! I’m always on the hunt for more recipes that use chickpeas and this one is great! Cheers! x